How to stay up to speed in the world of nutrition
The world of nutrition is constantly evolving, and while this is exciting, it can be overwhelming to keep up with the latest research and trends. So, how can you stay current, expand your knowledge, and provide your clients with the most accurate information possible? Here’s the ultimate guide for how nutrition professionals can stay up to speed in the world of nutrition.
As a nutrition professional, it’s important to stay up to date with the latest research, trends, and other relevant resources, but since the nutrition world is ever changing, it can be overwhelming to keep up. That’s why finding a community of other industry experts is so important, as this allows you to glean relevant information, stay connected, seek advice, offer input, and expand your knowledge.
Whether it’s learning more about the latest in nutrition science, trending topics, or continuing education options, you can use these resources to stay up to speed in the world of nutrition. Here are some of our best suggestions for how you can stay current, enhance your skills, and provide accurate information to your clients.
Pay attention to trends in the world of nutrition
Social media is one of the best places to reach potential clients, but you aren’t on any platforms, you may be out of the loop on trending topics, and can miss an opportunity to share your knowledge.
For example, Instagram or TikTok allows you to see the trends developing in real time, which provides the opportunity to create evidence-based content and combat any misinformation or provide alternative views on these trending topics. Not only will this increase your credibility, but it will also help you be discovered by new followers (and possible future clients) all while staying up to speed with any trending nutrition topics.
Nutrition conferences are a great way to learn more about the latest research, expand your networking opportunities, explore trending nutrition topics, gain CEUs, and even sample some hot new food items. Not sure where to find these events? Here are the best nutrition conferences to attend for the USA and Europe in 2022.
Expand your knowledge within the world of nutrition
It’s never too late to learn something new, expand within your current profession, or gain coordinating skills. For example, if you are an entrepreneur, you can take basic SEO or marketing courses to help with your website exposure and increase revenue. Not only will this help you reach more clients, but it will enhance your skills and abilities as the online space evolves.
Not using Nutrium yet?
Work online with the only tool you need in your nutrition business. Enjoy the 14-day trial.
Participate with relevant organizations
Stay current with the latest information on nutrition, science, and trends by participating in relevant organizations. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is one such organization that is committed to improving the nation’s health and advancing the profession of dietetics through research, education and advocacy . Not only is it the world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals, but it’s a great place to turn to for all things nutrition, as it covers everything from credentialing to job opportunities and continuing education opportunities.
In addition to the Academy, you can also join other groups that target more of your own interests and practice areas, as they offer access to current nutrition news, trends, and research. Moreover, these organizations provide mentoring, networking, job opportunities, and continuing education that help keep you current in the world of nutrition. Here are some examples of organizations that you may be interested in joining:
- Collegiate and Professional Sports Dietitians Association (CPSDA)
- The National Association of Nutrition Professionals
- The American Nutrition Association
- The American Society for Nutrition
- Food and Nutrition Information Center (FNIC)
- Individual state academies (based on where you currently reside)
Read a broad range of publications
Stay up to date with what your professional colleagues are writing and reading about by subscribing to a wide range of publications. Not only will this keep you current, but it can help you address what your clients may see in the news so you can provide them with the most accurate information possible. Here are some publications that you should consider following:
- Food & Nutrition Magazine: This popular site offers articles on food and diet trends, nutrition research, public health, and policy.
- Today’s Dietitian: This is one of the best websites for nutrition professionals, as it’s filled with a plethora of nutrition topics (such as diabetes management, heart health, and weight control), industry research, and stories about subjects that affect dietitians, their clients, and their career development.
- The New York Times: While this isn’t a specific dietitian website, the NYT “Well” section publishes articles on the latest trending topics surrounding nutrition, such as intuitive eating, the impact of sugar substitutes, BMI, and brain health. This is a good resource to have, as you can keep tabs on what the general public is interested in, and will help keep you up to speed with the latest media information.
Sign up for newsletters to stay up-to-date with the world of nutrition
Reading popular newsletters can be a great way to have new research consistently popping up in your inbox. Here are some great ones that you should subscribe to:
- Harvard’s nutrition newsletter
- American Society for Nutrition
- USDA Food and Nutrition Service
- USDA National Agricultural Library
- NIH National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
- Tuft’s Health & Nutrition Letter
Since the world of nutrition is constantly evolving, it’s important that you, as a dietitian, stay current with nutrition information. Whether it’s through conferences, publications, social media, organizations, or networking opportunities, you can learn more about the latest in nutrition science, trending topics, and continuing education options to stay up to speed in the world of nutrition.
We are always working toward bringing you the best nutrition content, so we welcome any suggestions or comments you might have! Feel free to write to us at email@example.com.
Haven't tried Nutrium yet? Now is the time! You can try Nutrium for free for 14 days and test all its features, from appointments, to meal plans, nutritional analysis, videoconference, a website and blog, professional and patient mobile apps, and more! Try it now for free!
- About Us. EatRightPro. (n.d.). Retrieved January 25, 2022, from https://www.eatrightpro.org/about-us